Independent Safety Advisory Group
The Independent Safety Advisory Group (ISAG) work in partnership with emergency services and professional bodies to discuss the Health and Safety issues relating to an event and offer professional guidance.
ISAG’s main objectives are:
- To promote high levels of safety and welfare at events by giving advice and guidance
- To promote good practice in safety and welfare planning for events
- To ensure events cause minimal adverse impact to the community
- Encourage cooperation and coordination between all relevant agencies so that events are safe and successful
The Safety Advisory Group has specific terms of reference but any event may be referred to the Group if significant safety issues are identified. The purpose of the group is “to ‘take an overview’ of all events taking place in Middlesbrough, paying particular attention to days where a series of events are scheduled, to ensure the joint impact on the Middlesbrough’s infrastructure is understood, and those involved in the event have the capacity and capability to deliver a safe event as defined in the relevant guides”.
The remit of the Group is therefore to advise on whether an event should proceed on safety and not any other grounds. Landlords’ consent may be withdrawn upon advice by ISAG on safety grounds only.
The core members of the group are:
- Middlesbrough Council
- Environmental Health (Health & Safety)
- Environmental Health (Licensing)
- Building Control
- Events Planning
- Cleveland Police
- Cleveland Fire & Rescue Service
- North East Ambulance Service