Premises Licence

Premises Licence

The Licensing Act 2003 states that most events and activities will require a Premises Licence or Temporary Events Notice.

Most formal events require a Premises Licence.
An event is considered to be formal when there are likely to be over 50 attendees, is commercial in nature and the location of the event will make that area unavailable for public use.

This could be the case if you intend to carry out any of the following at your event;

  • the sale by retail of alcohol
  • the supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to, or to order of, a member of a club
  • the provision of late-night refreshment
  • the provision of regulated entertainment, including:
    • the performance of a play
    • the exhibition of a film
    • an indoor sporting event such as boxing or wrestling entertainment
    • a performance of live music
    • any playing of recorded music
    • a dance performance

It is the responsibility of the event organiser to apply for and cover the cost for either of the licences.

Find out more information on fees and applications for a Premises Licence.